Saturday, March 3, 2012

Progress Is a Good Thing

A lot of small businesses are going under in today's economy.  We have seen this across the US, take  for example your local movie rental stores.  The success of online movie rentals and access to movies through cable providers have progressively eliminated the need for late night, last minute runs to grab some new movie to see. Another example - one that hits close to home for me - is book stores.  I used to love sitting in the aisles of local book stores, hours at a time, browsing through the selections. Bookstores are becoming few and far between as we begin to utilize online media purchasing.  I love the convenience of purchasing without leaving the comfort of my home, and if nothing else saving fuel costs, but now I am starting to truly see what we are losing in order to gain convenience.

Progress is one of my 3 chosen topics this week.  Again, I am not being negative or pointing a finger, because I love Amazon as much as the next girl...but lets slow down for a moment.  Let's look at a progression of books.
This is my Great Grandmother Rebecca's reading glasses on an old book that now rests in a curio cabinet in my home.

Next, I chose one of my favorite books, "The Last Lecture," (by Randy Pausch) and my reading glasses.  Since it is my copy, I write notes in the margins and highlight what speaks to me.  When I read, I enjoy the feel of the book in my hands, turning the pages, and I have to admit... I love the smell of its pages.

I remember used/old book sales at my local library. As a child, I was just as excited as I would have been on Christmas morning.  I would carry as many books as my little arms could hold.  My mom would make me choose 12, and it always took a long time to narrow down the decision. I was happier than a fox in a hen house! Today, as books and technology merge into one venue, our children will also download books.  It is easy, quick, and super convenient!  My question is, will they have the same sense of value in books as past generations?  Will they get tired of reading on an electronic device?  Will they know the joy of looking through shelves and flipping through the pages in order to decide which book they want?  Will they know the smell of books?  Yes, technology and progress are great, but I have been thinking....what is convenience worth to me?  I do know this....there will always be books in my house.  I am not ready to be a mom right now.  However, someday, in the future (if I have children of my own) I want them in my lap with a BOOK in their hand.  If they want a Kindle later, okay, but I want the wonder of the story lighting their faces - not the screen.

1 comment: