Wednesday, March 7, 2012

"It's not what you look at that matters, it is what you see." -Henry David Thoreau




Daffodils are one of my favorite flowers. They are a symbol of hope.  After a season, these yellow “buttercups” are the first sign that new life can be awakened from the slumber of winter.    They look so small and delicate, but are actually tougher than most other flowers.  Daffodils are perennials.  They come back consistently, year after year, in conditions that most flowers can not survive in.  (Tough little suckers.)  They brave the inconsistent weather of March in the South.  They grow anywhere; from carefully tended flower beds to roadside ditches.  Wherever they are, they bring beauty and splashes of color to a once brown, sleeping  landscape.  
When I see them I can’t suppress a smile.  It may seem tiny sitting on my kitchen table but, it brings a smile to my face every time I pass by.  To anyone else the view on the right is possibly all they would see in my kitchen.  The source of my smile, the image on the left, is what I see.  Only if you stop and pay attention to details in life, can you truly appreciate how beautiful it really is.  

No comments:

Post a Comment