Thursday, June 28, 2012

Soothed, Stirred, and Reflected



It is funny how music can soothe us, stir us, or reflect us.  I can't say whether I choose music based on the mood I am in or based on the mood I would rather be in. Perhaps both depending on the moment.
I appreciate most genres.  Today, I want to discuss bluegrass/folk.  I will say a banjo and fiddle can always bring a smile to my face.  At a recent wedding, in Montana, the couple chose a bluegrass band.  (The couple was from NC.)  I was photographing the cocktail hour when the warm, embracing sound of home engulfed me through the music.  I was in one of my favorite places physically, but in that moment, the music transported me to "the back porches" of the South.  They are places where a warm evening is great for an impromptu gathering and instruments are always welcome.  Dancing to this music has no formal steps. The motion runs from the heart and soul, throughout the body.  There are no judgements - just "home folk." I could not have been happier.  I had the best of both worlds- Montana and the South.  I would also point out that a true musical artist can preform despite distraction.  This banjo player may not be world renown. However, he was kind enough to let me photograph during his performance.  If he missed a note I was not aware of it. 
Before I sign off I'd like to explore another quote.  "March to the beat of your own drum."  Now I have always been drawn to the drums, but perhaps you would like to march to the banjo or any other favored instrument.  That would be alright with me.  Can I encourage you to dance instead of march?

No comments:

Post a Comment